A passion the Worthy Goods gals share besides our love for all things vintage, industrial and re-purposed is...
Eating and Cooking.
We love to cook and we love to eat what we cook while feeding it to anyone and everyone! We have been called food pushers on occasion.
Winter and comfort food go hand in hand. There is nothing like home made bread fresh out of the oven. In honor of these cozy winter months we would like to share a favorite recipe with you. This is from Debbie's kitchen and has quickly become a favorite in Laurie's as well. Try it, you will love it!
Kittencal's Jalapeño Cheddar Cheese Bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 4 cups flour (more as needed)
- 2 large jalapeno peppers, coarsely chopped, and seeds removed (can use more jalapeno if desired)
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg (room temperature, let egg sit in hot water for about 5-7 minutes to warm)
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese (chopped into about 1/2-inch cubes or a little larger if desired)
- 1Prepare a heavy-duty stand mixer with a kneader blade.
- 2Proof yeast in water with 1 teaspoon sugar for 8-10 minutes, or until foamy.
- 3Heat milk in the microwave for about 50 seconds on HIGH.
- 4In the stainless steel bowl, add in 4 cups flour, chopped jalapenos, salt, sugar, egg, hot pepper sauce (if using) and warmed milk.
- 5After the yeast has proofed, add to the bowl and start kneading, adding in more flour as needed to create a soft smooth semi-sticky dough, keep kneading for about 8-10 minutes.
- 6Towards the end of the kneading add in the cubed cheddar cheese, and mix until combined (the dough can be removed from the bowl and you can add/mix in the cheese by hand if desired).
- 7After the kneading, let the dough sit out on a board or counter top to rest, covered with a clean tea towel for 8-10 minutes.
- 8Gather up dough and knead gently for 30 seconds.
- 9Then place the dough in a well greased bowl, and let rise until doubled (about 1-1/2 hours or could take a little longer).
- 10Punch down dough and slice into two even pieces.
- 11Shape into two large balls, and place on a cookie/baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- 12Cover with a clean tea towel and rise again for another 1 hour or more until doubled.
- 13Brush tops with an egg white that has been mixed with 1 teaspoon cold water.
- 14Sprinkle on grated Parmesan cheese or sesame seeds.
- 15Bake in a 375 degree oven for about 25-35 minutes or until the crust is a dark golden brown.
Once you have had your fill of fresh hot home made jalapeno cheese bread, you can use the leftovers to make fabulous meals.
Try it toasted on a turkey, bacon, tomato and avocado sandwich.
Serve it with grilled onions, peppers and mushrooms with roast beef and pepper jack cheese open faced under the broiler.
Toast it and make an egg sandwich for breakfast.
You get the idea...
This bread is so worth the effort. You and your loved ones will be so happy!!!